Moving is without a doubt one of the most stressful events that occur in our lives. Whether you are moving across town or across country, it is a disruption of routine that can send your heart rate soaring and your mind racing.
Having a plan for your move is essential and there are many simple solutions to help with the process of moving. One of the best and often overlooked is the idea of renting a storage unit. From the moment you start planning your move, having a storage unit at the ready can be a great help.
5 Tips to Help Prepare Your Move
- STAY ORGANIZED – Go through every room of your home and make lists. Plan what is essential, what is non-essential and what you really don’t want to schlep to your new home.
- Decide on the size of storage unit that will work for you. A storage size estimator can help you with this. This early planning will also benefit you when you need to organize your movers or your truck size.
- Leave yourself plenty of time for your move and make a schedule for packing.
- Start with the items you can take to storage and pack and label your items well. The time you take to organize your boxes in the beginning will pay off later. Click here for a list of suggestions for preparing for storage.
- Make short trips and move those boxes to your storage unit.
Keeping yourself organized in the home you are packing will be invaluable to you. As you declutter and move those packed boxes out you will have more control over your space.
Once you have moved, facing those boxes in your new home can be just as daunting a task. Having your non-essentials in storage can give you the freedom to unpack at your leisure and organize your home exactly how you want it.