Well Manitobans, it’s that time of year again and another season is upon us. Although we can hope that Environment Canada’s promise of a mild winter is indeed true, we are pretty certain it won’t be mild enough to use your summer sports gear. With that in mind, we are offering you some tips to prepare your summer gear and sports equipment for storage.
Uniforms and Clothing
- Make sure all uniforms are properly cleaned before storage.
- Treat any stains that may be present. Stains that are left to set will be much more difficult to remove later.
- Mend any garments that may need some TLC.
- Make certain that all clothing is dried well before packing.
- Pack uniforms in clean, dry, plastic containers with tight fitting lids
- Wipe and clean each club individually. Make certain there is no damage and wipe all dirt buildup between the grooves of your clubs.
- Wipe the grips with a clean, wet cloth and dry them well.
- Clean out your golf bag and remove anything inside including balls, tees, and pencils.
- Check for any damage to your bag and have it repaired before storing. Remember to Check all zippers and pockets.
- Don’t forget your golf gloves. Make certain they are aired out and spot cleaned and treated with a leather cleaning product.
- Deflate basketballs, soccer balls, Rugby, and footballs and make certain you store the inflating devices with them for next year.
- Clean shoes very well and remove any debris on the bottom. Make sure all grass and dirt is removed from golf or soccer cleats.
- Wipe all scuffs and make sure shoes are dry before storing
- Keep your shoes in a clean plastic container. Do not place shoes in the same container as uniforms or clothing.
- Clean baseball gloves well and check for any damage.
- Clean all leather with a safe leather cleaning product.
- Store all leather in a clean box that will allow your leather to breathe.
Water Skis, Surfboards, and Paddleboards
- Wash all your water equipment well and make certain it is dry before storing.
- If you have a bag make certain it is clean and dry.
- Check the rubber on water skis and the leash on your surf or boogie board for any damage before storing.
Making sure your summer and fall sports equipment is properly prepared for storage will ensure a much longer lifespan and having no preparation next spring means less downtime when you want to joyfully embrace the warm weather.
For more tips and advice contact our dedicated Self-Storage consultant at 204-832-8181 for more information.