Storing electronic equipment in a storage unit requires a bit of TLC. If you are planning on storing any electronic equipment for any length of time, a little preparation can protect your equipment. These tips will help ensure that your equipment is prepared and protected for future use.
- Regardless of the type of equipment or the length of time you are storing, if your equipment has batteries, remove them. Acid can leak causing irreparable damage. Don’t forget toys as they are often overlooked.
Dust and Dirt
- Make certain that all your equipment is free of dust and dirt. Dust in air vents can keep air from circulating in your equipment and possibly causing humidity issues that can cause permanent damage
- Clean the outside of laptops well. Use a canned air product to remove dirt from keyboards.
- Clean the filters in your air conditioning units.
- Make sure that your vacuums are free of dirt and dust. Throw out used bags to keep unwanted critters out of your unit that could be lurking in old vacuum bags.
- Wipe the air vents on all televisions and stereo equipment
Cords and Cables
- Most electronics come with cords and adapters that are specific to the product and they can be very expensive to replace. It is important to organize them well to ensure their longevity.
- Store all your cables and cords in a plastic container.
- Wrap each one well and make sure there are no kinks or knots. This will ensure that you have no shorts in the wiring.
- Label each one well with the corresponding electronic part so you avoid plugging in the wrong adapter later.
- Avoid taping the cord to your equipment as the tape can deteriorate over time and cause damage.
Wrapping Your Equipment
- Do not use plastic wrap to store any electronics. Plastic can trap humidity and cause serious damage
- Wrap all your equipment in cotton that will allow your electronics to breathe.
- A climate-controlled unit is essential for keeping your equipment safe. Choose a self-storage unit facility that is dry and free of humidity.
Total Storage Winnipeg offers climate-controlled, clean, state-of-the-art and secure units in several sizes to store your valuable electronic equipment. For more tips and advice contact our dedicated Self-Storage consultant at 204-832-8181.