Spring is in full force and we can finally see that summer light at the end of a long winter tunnel. It is finally time to pull out our favourite summer wardrobe and put our Canada Goose jackets to rest. For many of us, space in the closet is always at a premium and it is often a lesson in futility finding the space to store our winter clothes for the summer. If you find yourself trying to find space to access your beloved and much missed summer garments then consider a climate controlled storage unit for your seasonal clothes.
With proper preparation, a climate controlled storage unit can keep your winter garments safe and protected and whether you choose to store your garments at home or in a storage unit, your garments should be properly prepared for storing.
7 Important Tips to Prepare Your Winter Wardrobe for Storage:
- Always clean your winter wardrobe before storing. Even in the most controlled environment, dirty clothes can attract unwanted insects. Also, dirt and stains will settle in to clothing making it more difficult to wash out later.
- Make certain all clothing is dried well before packing to avoid mildew.
- Avoid using starch or fabric sprays on your garments before storage.
- Avoid wrapping clothing in plastic bags. Natural fibres need to breathe and plastic hinders this.
- Plastic containers with tight fitting lids are excellent for clothing that can be folded. Make certain containers are cleaned well and fully dried.
- Consider purchasing garment storage boxes. These boxes have a built in hanging bar. This will enable you to keep your clothes hanging nicely and will save you time when you transfer your clothes back to your closet at the end of the season.
- Garment bags are an excellent choice for your more delicate garments and can be hung in garment boxes for better protection.
With just a little bit of preparation you can have a great summer without falling over those winter boots.