When deciding on renting a storage unit choosing the right size can be a bit daunting. Renting too small a unit can be frustrating and too large can prove to be a waste of money. With some planning and foresight, you can choose the storage unit that will fit your needs perfectly.
Here are 5 tips to keep in mind before you choose your storage unit size:
- Take inventory of what you are planning on storing. This is the first and the most important step in planning your unit size. There are moving apps available to help you with you inventory choice. See our blog for suggestions on taking inventory – 3 Apps to Help Organize
- Consider the type of boxes you are using and how many can stack safely. Using boxes of consistent size and weight allows you to stack well and save space.
- Measure furniture and appliances and consider if some furniture can be disassembled for easier storage. Tables and bed frames can often be disassembled to allow for storing flat against walls
- Use furniture to store other things. Bureaus and desks drawers can store clothes and supplies saving you space.
- Take future storage needs into consideration. If you plan on moving some things later be sure to include them in your inventory list.
Once you have planned your inventory and have an idea you can then make a floor plan. Start with the smallest unit size and see if that is a good fit. Storage unit facilities vary in size, but most are relatively standard, starting at 5 x5 units and working up from there. Most moving apps offer floor plans and some even let you drag and drop furniture and boxes.
With these simple steps, choosing the right size unit will be much easier, saving you time and money in the long run.
Our team of professionals are here to help you with any questions you may have.